A delicious Italian meal?! As a celiac, Tony’s may not be the first spot you want to try, but trust me it’s delicious. And, there are tons of safe gluten and dairy free options.
Spaghetti and Meatballs. Yum!
Tony’s is conveniently located at the entrance to the Magic Kingdom. It’ll be on your right as you enter the park, right next to Tinker Bell and Mickey’s Meet & Greet. You should check those out because the characters talk to you!
The last time I went to Tony’s was closer to my celiac diagnosis, and I must admit that the idea of using rice noodles for spaghetti and meatballs still sounded a bit strange. So, I stuck with balsamic, and they modified the seasonal melon appetizer for me to try as well. 🙂
Now, this time, I had passed my egg challenge since my last visit and I wanted to try the meatballs. So I chose to began with a lighter course- a modified mixed greens salad. I must say the salad was a bit of a let down as I was just eating greens. However, it didn’t make me sick and that’s the most important bit!
And, then it was time for the spaghetti! The meatballs were delicious. Even though they were turkey meatballs, I couldn’t tell the difference. The noodles were well cooked, and I was able to talk to the chef about cross contact, so I was certain my meal was safely prepared!
At the time that I visited the menu items that were gluten and dairy free included:
- Fagioli Soup (Meatless Bean Soup)
- Spaghetti with Marinara and Turkey Meatballs (or Sweet Italian Sausage)
- Shrimp Scampi (Sun dried tomatoes and asparagus tossed in a garlic sauce on a bed of rice pasta)
- Pasta Primavara (Seasonal vegetables tossed with garlic, olive oil, and balsamic glaze on a bed of rice pasta)
Chefs will often modify other menu items if you ask politely.
Every time you visit a Disney Restaurant:
- Ask to speak to a chef if you have multiple dietary concerns, or just want to be certain of the food you’re eating. I would do this with celiac to ask about cross-contact. 🙂
- Ensure your food comes out with an Allergy Stick. If not, ask if it was prepared correctly!
Happy Travel Tuesday, and have a magical week!
* This review is written based on my personal experience dining at Tony’s in December 2015.