I’m so lucky to have the most wonderful friends who will go out of their ways when it comes to dining at our local gluten free diner or driving hours to gluten free bakeries. I love my friends, and I’m also fortunate that there’s another person in my life who is even more supportive, my sister.
She never complains when we can’t go out to the new Chinese restaurant in town as a family, nor when she has to eat gluten free meals despite not having celiac disease. Plus, in her free time, she sometimes makes me special treats in our allergy kitchen downstairs. Not only does she know all about food allergies and celiac disease, but she’s also a wonderful chef.
To make things better, I recently passed my baked egg challenge, which meant she has a whole new array of recipes to try!
Those of you who know about food allergies are probably aware that some people with a milk or egg allergy can tolerate these ingredients if they have been extensively heated. For example, the milk in a goldfish. (You should complete any food challenge under the supervision of your doctor/allergist.)
Our first baked egg recipe were these chocolate mint cookies. They’re thin and crisp, yet still rich with the chocolate flavor. As my sister likes to point out, they don’t taste “gluten free” either. So, without further ado, here’s the recipe for you to enjoy with your family and friends too. 🙂
Chocolate Mint Cookies*
Allergens: Contains Eggs.
- 2 cups of Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup of Cocoa Powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1½ tsp. Vanilla
- 1½ tsp. Peppermint Extract
- 3 Egg Whites
- Preheat oven to 350 and line baking sheets with parchment.
- Using a mixer, beat all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Scoop onto the parchment using a tablespoon.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cookies sit on the parchment to finish cooking.
- Once cool, remove cookies from parchment, and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- For more of a peppermint taste you can use 1 tsp. vanilla and 2 tsp. peppermint extract as the original recipe suggests.
* Recipe Adapted from French Press
I’ll be bringing these delicious cookies to my friends at Fiesta Friday this week. I’m sure y’all will appreciate the love and care my sister put into these, and I can’t wait to see what y’all bring to the party.
Have a wonderful weekend, and happy cooking!