Today, we’re talking about the Teal Pumpkin Project- an initiative that began with FACET (Food Allergy Community of Eastern Tennessee). This year, it’s spread across the United States through FARE (Food Allergy Resource and Education) and major media coverage by networks such as CNN.
So, what is the Teal Pumpkin Project?
The idea behind the project is simple, hand out non-food treats at your home to help trick-or-treaters with food allergies have a safe Halloween. To let individuals know that you’re participating, all you need to do is paint a pumpkin teal and hang up a sign! It’s that simple! (Plus, you can still hand out candy too, but please store it in a separate bin.)
My experience with the Teal Pumpkin Project is documented in the YouTube video below! I know, I’m learning how to use more forms of social media, so please check it out! I’d love any feedback you have too.
How can I participate?!
Follow the steps in the video, or on this great flyer put together by FARE.
- Paint a pumpkin teal. If you don’t have a pumpkin to paint, just print out one of FAREs flyers!
- Let your neighbors know you’re participating! (You can hang out a sign, or pass out flyers.)
- Hand out non-food treats on Halloween. (This can be in addition to candy, just store them separately!)
How do I carve the pumpkin?!
Did you like my carving?! While I have no background in design, the pumpkin appears to be structurally sound. So, if you want to use the same design, you can download it here. And, since my adorable pup ate my first pumpkin, I took pictures while re-carving, so we now have a step-by-step Pumpkin Carving Guide!
- Cut out the top of the pumpkin. Leave a notch and smoke hole (if you’re using a traditional candle)!
- Scoop out the inside of the pumpkin!
- Poke holes through your print-out to outline the design on the pumpkin!
- Carve! (Once it’s done if you want to make the outer bubble design larger to let out more light you can too.)
- Place a candle inside! (Did you remember to cut the smoke hole?)
- Place next to your teal pumpkin and Teal Pumpkin Project Sign! Don’t forget to offer out non-food treats on Halloween!
It’s that simple! Just don’t let your pup eat the pumpkin!
Recap of Teal Pumpkin Project Resources
- #TealPumpkinProject Pumpkin Design by The Wanderlust Celiac
- Teal Pumpkin Project Sign by FARE
- Teal Pumpkin Flyer by FARE
- Spread the Word on Social Media by FARE
- Ideas for Non-Food Treats by FARE
- Teal Pumpkin Project Map to see just how far the movement has grown!
- Take the Pledge to participate this year!
Have any more resources that you would like me to add to the list?! Include them in the comments below!
It’s important to note that some awesome people (like one of my aunts) have been handing out non-food treats alongside candy for years too. This project is a great way to get more people involved! What’s your favorite non-food treat that would be perfect to hand out this Halloween?
Hope Y’all Have a Happy, Safe, and Spooky Halloween!
P.S: You won’t want to miss yesterday’s post covering three fruity Halloween treats!