This weekend we’re sending my younger sister back to college. I’m really excited because she picked a fifth floor apartment, which means lots of free exercise as we carry up the boxes! (My university didn’t even have dorms with more than four floors). In all honesty, she moved me into my university housing more than I moved myself, so I owe her big time. And, it will be fun to spend time with her this weekend.
After leaving everything to the semi-last minute, we’re finally gearing up for our road trip. Well, she’s packing and I’m blogging. I’ll catch up sooner or later. Nonetheless, I thought it would be a great time to feature a recipe that she made this summer! You see, even though my sister doesn’t have celiac disease, when she makes a gluten free (& Kaila allergy friendly) meal, she takes pictures for my blog. Did I mention that I owe her big time?
Most recently she made Hoisin Pork Wraps. She actually ate these all summer long after finding the original recipe in Cooking Light. This delicious and light treat can be portioned as an appetizer or as an entrée. Plus, it takes less than 15 minutes to create! We actually just bought a new bottle of GF hoisin sauce because I always need a quick and flavorful, yet still nutritious, meal in my repertoire.
Before you read the recipe, do you remember where I was last weekend? For all my Fiesta Friday friends still guessing my beach location that I mentioned in last Friday’s post, I was actually in the Bahamas on Disney’s private island- Castaway Cay! Feel free to check out my post all about the cruise from Monday!
As always, happy cooking! And, for anyone starting classes this week, best wishes for an awesome first semester!
Hoisin Pork Lettuce Wraps*
- ⅓ cup Gluten Free Hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. water
- 3 cups packaged cabbage and carrot coleslaw
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ⅓ cup unsalted peanuts or cashews (optional topping)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 (4-oz) boneless center-cut loin pork chops
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Boston lettuce leaves
- Combine the hoisin sauce, lime juice, and water in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine coleslaw, cilantro, and nuts.
- Cut the pork chops into thin strips (≈ 24).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pork chops in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with oil. Saute 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Fill lettuce leaves with pork slices, hoisin-lime sauce, and coleslaw from Steps 1 and 2.
Tips and Tricks
- This recipe makes 4 lettuce wraps, which works as an entrée. Or, you could serve them individually as an appetizer.
- If you like this lettuce wrap, be sure to check out the ones I made with bacon a few weeks back! They’re also GF, DF, and EF (as always).
- I don’t recommend cutting the meat out of this recipe; however, chicken could work as a pork sub. Let me know what substitutions you would make below!
* Adapted from Cooking Light