Looking back at my blog, I could have titled it “Spice It Up: Celiac and Allergy Friendly Soups with a Punch.” Don’t worry other recipes are coming, BUT I’ve needed all my soups to keep me warm during these bi-weekly snowstorms! (According to the news tonight, we’re over two feet above the typical snowfall for this point in the winter). With more wintery weather ahead, I hope y’all enjoy cooking warm meals, reading by the fireside, and playing winter sports!!
Today, I want to focus on a family friendly soup! While I’ve already posted a Southwestern Soup, there are two key differences in this family friendly version. First, it’s mild, so all the kids enjoy it! And, second, it’s simple for when your household is buzzing with excitement and activity.
My Simplest Southwestern Soup parallels the idea behind one-pot pasta. And, while I haven’t had success with one-pot pasta, this soup will happily fill the tummies of your whole family. Here, you’ll begin by throwing all the ingredients into a pot. You don’t even need to cook the chicken or sauté any vegetables first! Then, just leave the ingredients to cook. Your stove will do all the work for you : )
When you gear up for the next winter storm, be sure to grab the ingredients for this Southwestern Soup. And, as always, Best Wishes for Happy Cooking!
P.S: If you’ve been following my Twitter feed (@WanderlustGF), you’ll see some desserts that I’m still tweaking. Let’s say they’re in my “experimental kitchen.”
(The Simplest) Southwestern Chicken Tortilla Soup
Allergens: Celiac friendly and free of the Top 8 Allergens. Always check the labels for the ingredients that you purchase.
- 1 carton (32 oz.) plus 2 cups reduced-sodium GF chicken broth
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes, undrained (Contadina)
- 1 can (14 ½ oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained (Del Monte)
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 cups frozen corn
- Tortilla chips (Check that they are GF!)
- For the dairy consuming folks only: 1 cup shredded cheddar
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 12 ingredients (aka: up till the corn!).
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add corn; cook 10 minutes longer.
- Top each serving with tortilla chips; (sprinkle with cheese).
*Adapted from Taste of Home 2014
Tips & Tricks
- This soup is a little too mild for me, but it is family friendly! If you have like your soup spicier, just add a little bit more chili powder 🙂