Shortly after graduating from college, I invited my first house guests over for dinner. Let me preface this story by telling you that I had just moved across the country for a new job, and had only recently met these real, living, breathing people without allergies. To top it off, they were coming over during my “I’m okay living off pasta salad five days of the week” phase, so my cooking skills were not developing very quickly. All that aside, I was determined to serve them a delicious meal.
I am sure that I called home with a ton of silly questions for my mom in the days preceding my dinner guests. I planned to make a balsamic, tomato pasta dish and prosciutto-wrapped asparagus. That part, turned out as expected. However, when my guests arrived, all I remember is a dozen timers going off at once. While we enjoyed our meal (including the GF pasta!), I realized that I really needed to work on my timing!
Now, that was my first experience with prosciutto-wrapped vegetables. And, I must admit, that quite like bacon, I believe that prosciutto makes everything better! The recipe as my mom first gave it to me was an appetizer, rather than a side dish. Back at the time of the dinner party, I wasn’t quite ready to tackle the gluten/dairy/egg free mayo substitution; but, having grown a bit in the past year, I now prepare this dish as an appetizer with lemon dip.
I make my dip with NayoWhipped Mayo (which unfortunately contains soy, but is free of the other big 8 allergens). Personally, I like NayoWhipped Mayo, but I’ve never had regular mayo to draw a fair comparison. Once it’s mixed in with the lemon juice, you can hardly taste the mayo, but the citrus from the sauce balances the prosciutto and pepper on the asparagus.
Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus with Lemon Dip Recipe
Allergens: Celiac friendly and free of the Big 8, except soy, which can be found in the NayoWhipped mayo.
- Thinly-Sliced Prosciutto
- Ground Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
- NayoWhipped Mayo (or another mayo substitute)
- 1 Lemon
- Fresh Chives
Preheat the oven to 375.
- Break off the ends of your asparagus. Gently bend the asparagus spear until it breaks, so you find the tender part of the spear!
- Cut your sheets of thinly sliced prosciutto. Wrap one slice around each piece of asparagus, and place the wrapped asparagus in a pan.
- Drizzle/Sprinkle olive oil and black pepper on your wrapped asparagus.
- Place in the oven and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Best served warm.
- Pour ½ cup of vegan mayo in a bowl.
- Zest one lemon and add to the vegan mayo.
- Freshly squeeze the remainder of the lemon and add 1 tbsp. to the mayo mixture.
- Finely chop your fresh chives and add ½ tbsp. to the mayo mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Tips & Tricks:
- If you don’t have a dairy allergy/problem, you can use a regular mayo for this recipe!
- Don’t know what to do with the left over lemon juice?! You can always freeze the juice in an ice cube tray to keep for awhile.
- If you live in New England and know where to buy Earth Balance’s Mindful Mayo made with Olive Oil, let me know! I’d love to try it out : )